As a French person I feel like it's my duty to explain strikes to you. - AdrienIer

Create an account  

Gaspar and NobleHelium - More Arguments About Buildings & Food.

So is comm just wiping out Yuri? Any chance of taking Yuri's land?
“The wind went mute and the trees in the forest stood still. It was time for the last tale.”

Lewwyn Wrote:So is comm just wiping out Yuri? Any chance of taking Yuri's land?

Mist/Ichabod are wiping out Yuri, Commodore only razed his pink dot. We discussed the option of piling in on Yuri but we really don't have the proper units for it. Just going to keep teching and see what happens. Yuri's going down hard - I really can't remember seeing anyone lose their cap on T76 in a long time. I actually asked NH if we missed something and he forgot to revolt to slavery. wink
I've got some dirt on my shoulder, can you brush it off for me?

Well hopefully Comm and mistibod go at it then.
“The wind went mute and the trees in the forest stood still. It was time for the last tale.”

Gaspar Wrote:Mist/Ichabod are wiping out Yuri, Commodore only razed his pink dot. We discussed the option of piling in on Yuri but we really don't have the proper units for it. Just going to keep teching and see what happens. Yuri's going down hard - I really can't remember seeing anyone lose their cap on T76 in a long time. I actually asked NH if we missed something and he forgot to revolt to slavery. wink

PB3 reference?
Current games (All): RtR: PB80 Civ 6: PBEM23

Ended games (Selection): BTS games: PB1, PB3, PBEM2, PBEM4, PBEM5B, PBEM50. RB mod games: PB5, PB15, PB27, PB37, PB42, PB46, PB71. FFH games: PBEMVII, PBEMXII. Civ 6:  PBEM22 Games ded lurked: PB18

Man, I got all excited that Krill posted in our thread and it's just two words.

Sorry about that Lewwyn, it looks like we never actually mentioned that Mistabod declared on yuris. Whoops. smoke I'll edit in a fix.

Feel like I should write a little bit about the drama of the last few turns - I see the spike in lurker posts and figure I can fill in some of the gaps that our mediocre turn reports don't really lay out.

Here's the full skinny on us and MoM.
  • If you go back and read the beginning I'm pretty sure we mentioned before the game even started that MoM was the wonder we didn't want to lose. If we didn't post it, I'm positive we talked about it in chats.
  • We were first to Calendar thanks to going balls to the wall on wealth builds. This was not because we really wanted to hook up the silk.
  • Our original plan was to use the chops we had started but never finished after losing Pyramids to complete MoM. We then decided instead to save those forests for something else and try in the Capital.
  • We definitely got overconfident, changing from what was originally a 5t build to a 7t build to work more commerce tiles and not have to whip the capital.
  • We then realized this level of overconfidence and switched to a hybrid approach which would allow us to accelerate if we felt threatened.
  • Dave popped a GE which made us switch and decide to line the chops up early and 4-whip the capital to complete the wonder. We were fairly confident he was still researching the tech but by no means certain.
  • When Commodore showed up on the marble, we didn't immediately consider he was after MoM. Only after thinking on it for a bit did I really consider this possibility. We have however been monitoring the situation at the marble tile basically every turn forever. We never had intended to fully concede the area - its noteworthy that the city said (Liberate) the turn he settled it.
  • We decided ultimately to take the coinflip for a few reasons. First, Commodore has gotten away with murder with us. Second, we don't want him to have marble. Not just for MoM, which I had ceded was a possibility at this point but NH was overconfident about but we've also bandied about the idea of a Great Library build. And third, it was a coinflip. If Commodore had a spear in that city, then we don't take the chance and he lands the wonder (according to his comments at least.)

So that's the deal. I think Commodore believed there was some level of spite - this was an action of craven self-interest. And while Commodore is so spooked by the Pyramids that he thinks Dave is a threat to run away we consider his own position much stronger than Dave's at the moment. Commodore is an issue because Commodore is in a strong position, not because we have it out for him. Do we want to make him pay for his Pink Dot? Sure. But we want to win the game a lot more than we want to inflict pain on Commodore.

Lastly, sorry for being a bit obfuscating on our plans before the wonder hit. We've lost every single wonder race we've been in together and have become a little paranoid. Not because we think anyone is cheating, but more just a case of maybe not wanting to talk about it for fear of displaying yet another failure to the world. Realistically, I think we get a little overconfident - Noble is fond of talking about how there's "no way" so and so can do this or that when we discuss a wonder race. This situation, where we beat at least one and possibly two opponents by 4-whipping our cap and on turn order is a pretty shining example of the sacrifices you have to make to land a coveted wonder in a competitive game.

I'll end this wall of text here and probably talk a little bit about Mistabod in our next turn report. If anyone has any questions/wants any clarification/would like to congratulate us *ahem* - fire away. wink

Congratulations for building a non-pre-2nd city wonder!

Nicolae Carpathia Wrote:Congratulations for building a non-pre-2nd city wonder!

I'd make a snide comment about one of your games, but nobody pays attention to the junior varsity. wink

Nice work, guys.
I have to run.

Honestly I don't believe Commodore's bullshit about losing it on turn order. He had two turns to build the wonder. If it were novice on our border then I'd believe it. wink