As a French person I feel like it's my duty to explain strikes to you. - AdrienIer

Create an account  

[Spoilers] Old Harry's Game

yikes

Turn 175

So as has become traditional in this thread, I'm screwed. Hydra's stack is made up of:
- 50 infantry
- 5 rifles
- 2 muskets
- 4 mace
- 19 cavalry
- 8 cats
- 2 treb
- 15 cannon
Which is just ridiculous! He's been drafting infantry for a while, but there must be upgrades in there too. This is a lot more than I expected.

I'll let him have Forest Green for free next turn, but right now if Hydra bee-lines Barnet I have
- 2 HA
- 1 Knight
- 14 cav
- 13 catapults
- 31 cannon
- 31 rifle
- 22 gren
- 5 pike
- 1 xbow
- 1 archer
- 2 spears
which can hit his stack on flat land. Upgrading to cannons is about 1600 gold, to Cavalry is about 400 gold and to rifles is 800 gold. I have 800 now and can make 500 gold per turn. In my test the cannons get down to only hitting 1 or 2 units with colattoral by the end, so I think the priority is cavalry, then rifles, then cannon.

Right now I think not switching to slavery three turns ago was a mistake. I can build 7 more cav and one more cannon to get there in time to hit and can draft four more rifles to hit (and another to defend). So I'll have
- 24 cav
- 44 rifles
- 22 gren
- 13 cats
- 32 cannon

If he follows the mountains I can get two extra turns of production, meaning another round of cavalry, some drafted rifles, and some rifles that couldn't get there in time otherwise. I think more cavalry will be the important thing, so will keep making them whichever way he goes.

I've run a very rough test but I'll keep the results secret to maintain tension. I guess we'll see how it really goes in a couple of turns... popcorn

Over in the west Hydra has a galley in addition to the ironclad, so I'm going to have to defend Grimsby too. The ironclad can only kill one trireme at a time, so I might be able to force him to unload the infantry on flat land, allowing some cavalry to take a shot at them...

I'm at the point where I don't even have graphs on Hydra after ending turn:

Luckily this tells me everything I need to know:

(September 12th, 2013, 06:26)Old Harry Wrote: Turn 175

- 2 HA
- 1 Knight
- 14 cav
- 13 catapults
- 31 cannon
- 31 rifle
- 22 gren
- 5 pike
- 1 xbow
- 1 archer
- 2 spears
which can hit his stack on flat land.
I've run a very rough test but I'll keep the results secret to maintain tension. I guess we'll see how it really goes in a couple of turns... popcorn
Yawn. So the real question is; when are you going on the counter-offensive?
If only you and me and dead people know hex, then only deaf people know hex.

I write RPG adventures, and blog about it, check it out.

(September 12th, 2013, 06:33)Commodore Wrote: Yawn. So the real question is; when are you going on the counter-offensive?

Oi! Don't spoil the ending! rant

(September 12th, 2013, 07:55)Old Harry Wrote:
(September 12th, 2013, 06:33)Commodore Wrote: Yawn. So the real question is; when are you going on the counter-offensive?

Oi! Don't spoil the ending! rant
Then don't show us pictures of a 1-mover stack slowly waddling through culture while you mass cannons and flanking cavs! twirl
If only you and me and dead people know hex, then only deaf people know hex.

I write RPG adventures, and blog about it, check it out.

Yeah...stack warfare at this point of the game is simply about numbers. Numbers and positioning of defenders in outlying cities.
Current games (All): RtR: PB80 Civ 6: PBEM23

Ended games (Selection): BTS games: PB1, PB3, PBEM2, PBEM4, PBEM5B, PBEM50. RB mod games: PB5, PB15, PB27, PB37, PB42, PB46, PB71. FFH games: PBEMVII, PBEMXII. Civ 6:  PBEM22 Games ded lurked: PB18

Okay, how can I spice this up for you old timers? Report only in binary? Try some unknown tactic? Hydra probably has visibility on all my cities with his EP spending so I'm trying to keep my cav stack hidden from view to coax him into keeping up the advance. Good enough for you?

Jaded lurkers are the worst tongue

If you were him would you take the two turns extra to stick to the hills or just go for the flatland (obviously you aren't and wouldn't be in this situation, but y'know just say you were. )

If I was him I'd offer peace for the 10 turn amnesty and go kill Azza or Dhalphir, I don't think he's far from railroad, so it could be doable... The best way to beat me is by having more land and better troops to defend it with. Unless he's got something good up his sleeve his current plan won't achieve that. smug

Killing a 100 unit stack with 60 units would do it.
Current games (All): RtR: PB80 Civ 6: PBEM23

Ended games (Selection): BTS games: PB1, PB3, PBEM2, PBEM4, PBEM5B, PBEM50. RB mod games: PB5, PB15, PB27, PB37, PB42, PB46, PB71. FFH games: PBEMVII, PBEMXII. Civ 6:  PBEM22 Games ded lurked: PB18

Stop taking one week to play a turn? Not necessarily you, but also Hydra.

How about not giving a damn what these grumpy oldies think, seal the well-deserved win, and devote your life to PB13! mischief
Finished:
PBEM 45G, PB 13, PB 18, PB 38 & PB 49

Top 3 favorite turns: 
#1, #2, #3