As a French person I feel like it's my duty to explain strikes to you. - AdrienIer

Create an account  

Rebalancing Civ4: RtR Mod

(February 1st, 2014, 23:22)BaII Wrote: Maybe increase their city attack from 10% to 25%?
Quote:
(February 1st, 2014, 09:48)Dhalphir Wrote: Why not give swords free CR1 and CR2? Could that work?
(February 1st, 2014, 09:50)Krill Wrote: What, to waddle through enemy culture and still get destroyed by axes or HA?
It's a fair enough objection.
If only you and me and dead people know hex, then only deaf people know hex.

I write RPG adventures, and blog about it, check it out.

(February 1st, 2014, 22:24)Commodore Wrote: Perhaps I should note part of it is an aesthetic objection; the unique artstyles and looks for the various sword units are excellent, while axes are dull and save for the "middle east" all the same.

Just seems like a wasted unit. frown

(February 1st, 2014, 23:13)Dhalphir Wrote: Perhaps it's worth considering making swords literally a copy of axes, right down to cost, bonuses, and tech requirements.

If we aren't going to make them a viable unit, the least we can do is make them worth building just for aesthetic variety, rather than pretending they don't exist.

[Image: swordsmen.JPG]

There're actually Far Eastern and Native American Axemen in the game art files. For some reason, they're unused.

Swordsman:
- require IW and MC
- S6, +50% vs. melee, +10% city attack
- cost 45 hammers
- axeman upgrades to swordsman

My completely useless opinion: The designers clearly envisioned the sword to be a city attacking unit (but they surely imagined archers would be more used than they are in human games) so some way should be found to make them viable in this role, as an alternative or support to HAs.

Is buffing their city attack a little more and / or making them less weak against axes (inherent +10% vs melee?) completely useless with 1 move? I'd think there are situations where a unit like that would be nice, e.g. in border disputes when you don't have to go through a lot of culture or flank attack an empire. This would differentiate their attacking role against HAs, where adding March doesn't so much.

I guess it remains to be seen whether anyone cares about them yet in Seven's mod. And see dangers in unintended consequences and ripple waves in balance blah blah.

Swords are not worth fixing with radical changes. Maybe 20% city attack could make it tiny bit more useful. Niche units that would be more useful in more random setups. In PB8 I would have used them against Merohoc, if I would have had them. I even used Jags for attacking cities there, but swords would have been much more effective

And I'm not going to go and make a change if it doesn't have a reasonable effect either; no point making a change if swords are still fairly irrelevant outside that niche.
Current games (All): RtR: PB80 Civ 6: PBEM23

Ended games (Selection): BTS games: PB1, PB3, PBEM2, PBEM4, PBEM5B, PBEM50. RB mod games: PB5, PB15, PB27, PB37, PB42, PB46, PB71. FFH games: PBEMVII, PBEMXII. Civ 6:  PBEM22 Games ded lurked: PB18

(February 2nd, 2014, 00:53)GreyWolf Wrote: There're actually Far Eastern and Native American Axemen in the game art files. For some reason, they're unused.

Can we have this at least please Mr. Cyneheard?
If only you and me and dead people know hex, then only deaf people know hex.

I write RPG adventures, and blog about it, check it out.

(February 2nd, 2014, 14:50)Commodore Wrote:
(February 2nd, 2014, 00:53)GreyWolf Wrote: There're actually Far Eastern and Native American Axemen in the game art files. For some reason, they're unused.

Can we have this at least please Mr. Cyneheard?

I never figured out how to mess with graphics. Sorry.

I'd be hesitant to mess with graphics because I don't want people to be perplexed by fancy new graphics that they don't know what they are. Then again, I think most people are smart enough to figure out to mouse over units.
Current games (All): RtR: PB80 Civ 6: PBEM23

Ended games (Selection): BTS games: PB1, PB3, PBEM2, PBEM4, PBEM5B, PBEM50. RB mod games: PB5, PB15, PB27, PB37, PB42, PB46, PB71. FFH games: PBEMVII, PBEMXII. Civ 6:  PBEM22 Games ded lurked: PB18