As a French person I feel like it's my duty to explain strikes to you. - AdrienIer

Create an account  

Rebalancing Civ4: RtR Mod

Yeah, Ruff gave the link to what I was thinking of. Was on phone before, sorry.
Current games (All): RtR: PB80 Civ 6: PBEM23

Ended games (Selection): BTS games: PB1, PB3, PBEM2, PBEM4, PBEM5B, PBEM50. RB mod games: PB5, PB15, PB27, PB37, PB42, PB46, PB71. FFH games: PBEMVII, PBEMXII. Civ 6:  PBEM22 Games ded lurked: PB18

Plako, the method you are using might actually significantly decrease the amount of random events that occur in game. IIRC, there is a number (might be 1/3) of the total number of events that are discarded immediately ta game start. If half of them are decreased to 0 probability of occurring, and these are the majority of the events that are chosen to actually stay in the game, it should create a glut of the same few events from constantly coming up.

I don't know if that's what is wanted?
Current games (All): RtR: PB80 Civ 6: PBEM23

Ended games (Selection): BTS games: PB1, PB3, PBEM2, PBEM4, PBEM5B, PBEM50. RB mod games: PB5, PB15, PB27, PB37, PB42, PB46, PB71. FFH games: PBEMVII, PBEMXII. Civ 6:  PBEM22 Games ded lurked: PB18

(February 21st, 2014, 06:08)Krill Wrote: Plako, the method you are using might actually significantly decrease the amount of random events that occur in game. IIRC, there is a number (might be 1/3) of the total number of events that are discarded immediately ta game start. If half of them are decreased to 0 probability of occurring, and these are the majority of the events that are chosen to actually stay in the game, it should create a glut of the same few events from constantly coming up.

I've not seen indication about this. Any link where this could have been said. I haven't checked the source code, but I think all events are gone through and RNG-rolled to get the list of active events.

(February 21st, 2014, 11:20)plako Wrote:
(February 21st, 2014, 06:08)Krill Wrote: Plako, the method you are using might actually significantly decrease the amount of random events that occur in game. IIRC, there is a number (might be 1/3) of the total number of events that are discarded immediately ta game start. If half of them are decreased to 0 probability of occurring, and these are the majority of the events that are chosen to actually stay in the game, it should create a glut of the same few events from constantly coming up.

I've not seen indication about this. Any link where this could have been said. I haven't checked the source code, but I think all events are gone through and RNG-rolled to get the list of active events.

I've seen Sirian say this a few times, and he was the one who coded the events. Each game only contains a certain fraction of the events, so yeah you would have to do some research on if removing those would screw them up or not.

EDIT: Let's scrap this post.

Below is the relevant post originating from the thread Ruff linked (thanks!).
Finished:
PBEM 45G, PB 13, PB 18, PB 38 & PB 49

Top 3 favorite turns: 
#1, #2, #3

Here's the post I ment:

Quote:But could you explain how the "Active/Weight" ratio works?

Quote:I just combined two values to make the list shorter - so no ratio:
both can be found (and changed) in the Civ4EventTriggerInfos.xml
Active=iPercentGamesActive this value determines the probability that this event is included in the list of Events possible at the start of a new game
Weight=iWeight this value determines the chance for the event to trigger IF any event is triggered (I listed the chances per era in my first post) AND IF its Prereqs are met - what the game does is:
1 - it determines whether any event is triggered this turn
2 - it lists all events that are active AND have all prereqs met AND are not obsolete
3 - it adds all iWeight values of these events
4- it rolls the dice, with the chance of any event to occur being iWeight/Sum(iWeight) from 3
Finished:
PBEM 45G, PB 13, PB 18, PB 38 & PB 49

Top 3 favorite turns: 
#1, #2, #3

Making circumnavigation available to everyone is actually a really good idea. It still gives a bonus to people who scout early, but doesn't make it such a gamebreaking thing for the entire game, because you can always go get it yourself.
mackoti Wrote:SO GAVAGAI WINNED ALOT BUT HE DIDNT HAD ANY PROBLEM?

Circumnavigation is trivial to obtain if you have no time limit, especially given the earliness of map trading. The only time you would have trouble getting it would be in AW games. Giving every ship an extra move affects game balance.

You could just change the other events to iPercentGamesActive = 100. You should probably axe the Horiculture event too though (not sure what the exact name is) because it affects trait balance to give everyone 1-3 free health permanently. Except for the unlucky guy who rolls the 10%.

I think I would rather remove circumnav than let everybody get it. Having three-move galleys would really change classical era naval war
Suffer Game Sicko
Dodo Tier Player

Maybe change the circumnavigation bonus to +1 sight?