As a French person I feel like it's my duty to explain strikes to you. - AdrienIer

Create an account  

Rebalancing Civ4: RtR Mod

Trebs available at machinery but not requiring construction to build is kind of weird from a RL/RP perspective. You can build the more advanced unit but not basic one...
Played: FFH PBEM XXVI (Rhoanna) FFH PBEM XXV (Shekinah) FFH PBEM XXX (Flauros) Pitboss 11 (Kublai Rome)
Playing:Pitboss 18 (Ghengis Portugal) PBEM 60 - AI start (Napoleon Inca)

(February 24th, 2014, 14:37)Molach Wrote: Trebs available at machinery but not requiring construction to build is kind of weird from a RL/RP perspective. You can build the more advanced unit but not basic one...

was this change made? hmm thats interesting. I like it. players rushing for maces or crossbows have the option of using the less practical siege unit and not detouring for cats. creates an interesting decision.

not sure how it will play out - maybe everyone will skip cats, or maybe no one will, not sure.
Please don't go. The drones need you. They look up to you.

Cats are one of the best units in the game, so I don't think people are going to stop building them. But certainly, if you were going for a fairly fast machinery (e.g. for maces or knights) you could use trebs as a short-term substitute.

(February 24th, 2014, 21:00)SevenSpirits Wrote: Cats are one of the best units in the game, so I don't think people are going to stop building them. But certainly, if you were going for a fairly fast machinery (e.g. for maces or knights) you could use trebs as a short-term substitute.

well yes of course. I didn't mean construction would turn into divine right. but it might get delayed further than it normally is.

or it might not. I've never really tried using only trebs, I'm not sure how effective they would be as the only siege unit instead of a supplement.

I see this as more of a way to extend one's advantage as if your army is advanced enough to withstand open field combat by being hit with cat's then you force your opponent into defending cities and where trebuchet's excel more at than cat's you could use this advantage. Otherwise cat's are just better in most cases.
http://nijidraws.tumblr.com/ - Crediting the artist who made my profile pic.

(February 24th, 2014, 21:02)Bigger Wrote:
(February 24th, 2014, 21:00)SevenSpirits Wrote: Cats are one of the best units in the game, so I don't think people are going to stop building them. But certainly, if you were going for a fairly fast machinery (e.g. for maces or knights) you could use trebs as a short-term substitute.

well yes of course. I didn't mean construction would turn into divine right. but it might get delayed further than it normally is.

or it might not. I've never really tried using only trebs, I'm not sure how effective they would be as the only siege unit instead of a supplement.

It would work out terribly if you got caught out attacking a stack anywhere other than a city.

Played: Pitboss 18 - Kublai Khan of Germany Somalia | Pitboss 11 - De Gaulle of Byzantium | Pitboss 8 - Churchill of Portugal | PB7 - Mao of Native America | PBEM29 Greens - Mao of Babylon

Well if youre rocking maces and crossbows and your opponent has axes its less likely that would happen (or knights vs longbows) Its a risk either way, though.

Trebs are not useless outside cities you know, they're just one less strength than cats.

Yeah, but I mean they are 20% lower strength than cats and also cost 50% more. That is not unplayable, but it's significantly worse. Imagine if cuirassiers cost 140h instead of 100, and had 8 strength instead of 12. Then catapult : trebuchet :: knight :: cuirassier.

The saving grace for trebs is their city attack bonus.

(February 24th, 2014, 14:37)Molach Wrote: Trebs available at machinery but not requiring construction to build is kind of weird from a RL/RP perspective. You can build the more advanced unit but not basic one...

A lot of civ isn't about realism, and really it's possible to build Cuirs and Cav without ever having the ability to build knights. I'm not unduly concerned about balance either, getting to Machinery before Construction is an expensive way to build a unit that is worse than the unit it is replacing.
Current games (All): RtR: PB80 Civ 6: PBEM23

Ended games (Selection): BTS games: PB1, PB3, PBEM2, PBEM4, PBEM5B, PBEM50. RB mod games: PB5, PB15, PB27, PB37, PB42, PB46, PB71. FFH games: PBEMVII, PBEMXII. Civ 6:  PBEM22 Games ded lurked: PB18