As a French person I feel like it's my duty to explain strikes to you. - AdrienIer

Create an account  

Rebalancing Civ4: RtR Mod

What is iModifier in that case? Is it simply 100 before the code you posted, or is it 100/120/140/160 depending on arrow bonuses, or what?

How I read the code working out, for reference.

Ancient: No bonus
Classical: +2% per met player with tech, max +50% (no further bonus after 25 players)
Medieval: +4% per met player with tech, max +50% (no further bonus after 13 players, 13th is only +2%)
Rennaissance: +6% per met player with tech, max +50% (no further bonus after 9 players, 9th is only +2%)
Industrial: +8% per met player with tech, max +75% (no further bonus after 10 players, 10th is only +3%)
Modern: +8% per met player with tech, max +75% (no further bonus after 10 players, 10th is only +3%)
Future: +8% per met player with tech, max +75% (no further bonus after 10 players, 10th is only +3%)

(Era is based off the most advanced tech that anyone in the game has researched.)

(March 5th, 2014, 15:31)SevenSpirits Wrote: What is iModifier in that case? Is it simply 100 before the code you posted, or is it 100/120/140/160 depending on arrow bonuses, or what?

iModifier is 100 before getting to this code. Arrow bonuses are added normally to this value afterwards i.e. this code does not affect to it.

(March 5th, 2014, 15:41)SevenSpirits Wrote: How I read the code working out, for reference.

Ancient: No bonus
Classical: +2% per met player with tech, max +50% (no further bonus after 25 players)
Medieval: +4% per met player with tech, max +50% (no further bonus after 13 players, 13th is only +2%)
Rennaissance: +6% per met player with tech, max +50% (no further bonus after 9 players, 9th is only +2%)
Industrial: +8% per met player with tech, max +75% (no further bonus after 10 players, 10th is only +3%)
Modern: +8% per met player with tech, max +75% (no further bonus after 10 players, 10th is only +3%)
Future: +8% per met player with tech, max +75% (no further bonus after 10 players, 10th is only +3%)

(Era is based off the most advanced tech that anyone in the game has researched.)

This is right.

I like this. No large incentive to go looking for players in the early eras. Incentive grows over time.
I have finally decided to put down some cash and register a website. It is www.ruffhi.com. Now I remain free to move the hosting options without having to change the name of the site.

(October 22nd, 2014, 10:52)Caledorn Wrote: And ruff is officially banned from playing in my games as a reward for ruining my big surprise by posting silly and correct theories in the PB18 tech thread.

thumbsup
Finished:
PBEM 45G, PB 13, PB 18, PB 38 & PB 49

Top 3 favorite turns: 
#1, #2, #3

So I've been pondering this quite a lot today, and spending some time discussing the PB18 implementation with Plako, specifically the coding of such, has helped to bring this idea together. First of all some of the code:

Equation: iModifier = 100 (This just means no modifier) + (highestEra*TECH_COST_TOTAL_KNOWN_TEAM_MODIFIER*iKnownCount/iPossibleKnownCount)

So the plan: introduce a cap to the maximum iModifier of 180 (so 100 base, as in the equation, and the rest of the terms never gives more than 80). This stops the crazy numbers from happening in large PB games. In Ren and before, drop it to 60 (this also gives nice rounding on the number of people needed to get the full bonus).

Next, change the iPossibleKnownCount variable to be equal to number of players but never greater than 10, so if more than 10 players are in the game the number used in the equation is 10. This means in smaller PBEM games, a small value is used so the amount per player is large enough to have some effect, like in current games (where it can be 10, 15, 20%).

For the highestera variable, the era variable caps out at 4, so for each era:

0 = ERA_ANCIENT
1 = ERA_CLASSICAL
2 = ERA_MEDIEVAL
3 = ERA_RENAISSANCE
4 = ERA_INDUSTRIAL
4 = ERA_MODERN
4 = ERA_FUTURE

The "TECH_COST_TOTAL_KNOWN_TEAM_MODIFIER" then basically becomes "How many people that have the tech you are researching do you need to meet to reach the maximum bonus". Leaving it at 20 gives the following numbers for games with 10 or more players:

Quote:Ancient: No bonus
Classical: +2% per met player with tech, max +60% (no further bonus after 30 players)
Medieval: +4% per met player with tech, max +60% (no further bonus after 15 players)
Rennaissance: +6% per met player with tech, max +60% (no further bonus after 10 players)
Industrial: +8% per met player with tech, max +80% (no further bonus after 10 players)
Modern: +8% per met player with tech, max +80% (no further bonus after 10 players)
Future: +8% per met player with tech, max +80% (no further bonus after 10 players)

However, for games with 5 players, the numbers would actually be:

Classical: +4% per met player with tech, max +16% (number of players limited)
Medieval: +8% per met player with tech, max +32% (number of players limited)
Rennaissance: +12% per met player with tech, max +48% (number of players limited)
Industrial: +16% per met player with tech, max +72% (number of players limited)
Modern: +16% per met player with tech, max +72% (number of players limited)
Future: +16% per met player with tech, max +72% (number of players limited)

This is a system that in a PBEM would give a value of the known tech bonus that is similar to that of a 5 player base BtS game once the medieval era is reached by one player, and reaches double that bonus in the Industrial era. This compares to the current values in RB mod 2.0.3.6, an example of which is given below for a 5 player PBEM. The known tech bonus is enabled by techs that give the ability to trade maps (Writing, Paper, Corporation, Scientific Method, Steam Power, Electricity), and is enabled once the researcher reaches, them, compared to the tech leader. This generally means that these bonuses will appear later than the corresponding value in the above examples.

Quote:Before Writing: No bonus
With Writing: +5% per met player with tech, max +20%
Writing and Paper: +10% per met player with tech, max +40%
3 techs; Corporation: +15% per met player with tech, max +60%
4 techs; Scientific Method: +20% per met player with tech, max +80%
5 techs; Steam Power: +25% per met player with tech, max +100%
6 techs; Electricity: +30% per met player with tech, max +125%

As you can see, the percentage modifier is fairly similar on a per player basis during the game until the Industrial era is reached. Below are the numbers for a 20 player. Simply double the values for the relvenat modifiers in 10 player games.

Quote:Before Writing: No bonus
With Writing: +1.25% per met player with tech, max +23.75%
Writing and Paper: +2.5% per met player with tech, max +47.5%
3 techs; Corporation: +3.75% per met player with tech, max +56.25%
4 techs; Scientific Method: +5% per met player with tech, max +95%
5 techs; Steam Power: +6.25% per met player with tech, max +118.75%
6 techs; Electricity: +7.5% per met player with tech, max +142.5%

This shows that in larger games, the current implementation produces values that give irrelevant bonus numbers; in some instances can lose beakers due to rounding on overflow after finishing techs.

I think that using this type of implementation would make the system much easier to understand, sclaes better between game sizes and doesn't promote esoteric playstyles or scouting.

Anyone have any thoughts on this?
Current games (All): RtR: PB80 Civ 6: PBEM23

Ended games (Selection): BTS games: PB1, PB3, PBEM2, PBEM4, PBEM5B, PBEM50. RB mod games: PB5, PB15, PB27, PB37, PB42, PB46, PB71. FFH games: PBEMVII, PBEMXII. Civ 6:  PBEM22 Games ded lurked: PB18

Link to version of mod for PB18

Change log
Current games (All): RtR: PB80 Civ 6: PBEM23

Ended games (Selection): BTS games: PB1, PB3, PBEM2, PBEM4, PBEM5B, PBEM50. RB mod games: PB5, PB15, PB27, PB37, PB42, PB46, PB71. FFH games: PBEMVII, PBEMXII. Civ 6:  PBEM22 Games ded lurked: PB18

I agree that the system in post 2007 is quite easy to understand and seems to yield reasonable results. I might prefer to base the era parameter on the era of the tech being researched, but I also see the logic of using the most advanced era that has been reached, so it's no big deal.
If you know what I mean.

(March 5th, 2014, 16:18)Krill Wrote: So I've been pondering this quite a lot today, and spending some time discussing the PB18 implementation with Plako, specifically the coding of such, has helped to bring this idea together. First of all some of the code:

Equation: iModifier = 100 (This just means no modifier) + (highestEra*TECH_COST_TOTAL_KNOWN_TEAM_MODIFIER*iKnownCount/iPossibleKnownCount)

So the plan: introduce a cap to the maximum iModifier of 180 (so 100 base, as in the equation, and the rest of the terms never gives more than 80). This stops the crazy numbers from happening in large PB games. In Ren and before, drop it to 60 (this also gives nice rounding on the number of people needed to get the full bonus).

Next, change the iPossibleKnownCount variable to be equal to number of players but never greater than 10, so if more than 10 players are in the game the number used in the equation is 10. This means in smaller PBEM games, a small value is used so the amount per player is large enough to have some effect, like in current games (where it can be 10, 15, 20%).

For the highestera variable, the era variable caps out at 4, so for each era:

0 = ERA_ANCIENT
1 = ERA_CLASSICAL
2 = ERA_MEDIEVAL
3 = ERA_RENAISSANCE
4 = ERA_INDUSTRIAL
4 = ERA_MODERN
4 = ERA_FUTURE

The "TECH_COST_TOTAL_KNOWN_TEAM_MODIFIER" then basically becomes "How many people that have the tech you are researching do you need to meet to reach the maximum bonus". Leaving it at 20 gives the following numbers for games with 10 or more players:

Classical: +2% per met player with tech, max +60% (no further bonus after 30 players)
Medieval: +4% per met player with tech, max +60% (no further bonus after 15 players)
Rennaissance: +6% per met player with tech, max +60% (no further bonus after 10 players)
Industrial: +8% per met player with tech, max +80% (no further bonus after 10 players)
Modern: +8% per met player with tech, max +80% (no further bonus after 10 players)
Future: +8% per met player with tech, max +80% (no further bonus after 10 players)

So you're saying that iKnownCount can be greater than iPossibleKnownCount in games with more than 10 players?