As a French person I feel like it's my duty to explain strikes to you. - AdrienIer

Create an account  

Pitboss 18 IT and Tech Issues Thread

Would it be possible for someone to check his thread for a password and just play the turn? For most of these turns, its simply deciding what to do with the scout. I'm sure Bacchus would have reported enough to this point that a lurker wouldn't be totally in the dark about how to proceed. He may even have a detailed micro plan.

I don't mind a short delay but if a player doesn't ask in advance I think we should proceed, especially this early in the game.

Never play a players turn without consent unless they are being replaced. Really bad precedent there. Much better to just let the turn roll.
Current games (All): RtR: PB80 Civ 6: PBEM23

Ended games (Selection): BTS games: PB1, PB3, PBEM2, PBEM4, PBEM5B, PBEM50. RB mod games: PB5, PB15, PB27, PB37, PB42, PB46, PB71. FFH games: PBEMVII, PBEMXII. Civ 6:  PBEM22 Games ded lurked: PB18

Played, rolled, sorry, nightmare day.

PS: I hoped to fit all the games in the earlier window, but it didn't work out and it was in a bit of a rush as it was, I even forgot to pause PB13 after playing there, nearly causing a reload-apocalypse.
DL: PB12 | Playing: PB13

Sorry! I just wanted to avoid a reload. So do we now have a rule that if player does not ask for a pause there will be no reloads? Because that needs not be clearly stated by the admin, otherwise this is going to be a mess if sometimes the game is paused and sometimes not.
Finished:
PBEM 45G, PB 13, PB 18, PB 38 & PB 49

Top 3 favorite turns: 
#1, #2, #3

(April 6th, 2014, 15:33)Fintourist Wrote: Sorry! I just wanted to avoid a reload. So do we now have a rule that if player does not ask for a pause there will be no reloads? Because that needs not be clearly stated by the admin, otherwise this is going to be a mess if sometimes the game is paused and sometimes not.

I would suggest that if a player does not ask for a pause there will be no pause. And that this is clearly stated as a rule by the game admin.
I have to run.

(April 6th, 2014, 14:19)Krill Wrote: Never play a players turn without consent unless they are being replaced. Really bad precedent there. Much better to just let the turn roll.

Fair enough, and that makes sense.

(April 6th, 2014, 15:33)Fintourist Wrote: Sorry! I just wanted to avoid a reload. So do we now have a rule that if player does not ask for a pause there will be no reloads? Because that needs not be clearly stated by the admin, otherwise this is going to be a mess if sometimes the game is paused and sometimes not.

I appreciate you helping Bacchus, so no apology is required. I am viewing this more in a big-picture kind of way. With this many players, it is inevitable that someone will have difficulty with a turn here or there, but we just need to accommodate each other by communicating in advance whenever possible. Failing that, it is incumbent upon each player to get his/her turn covered and not hold up the game. I personally would prefer in this game to miss my own turn rather than to hold the game up, unless I have communicated to the other players in advance about a specific, limited circumstance where I may require a delay. Obviously this all changes once the world is at war, but for now, we should be able to manage the turns within the timer.

Bacchus, I'm not directing this at you at all, but rather as trying to establish a policy for all of us for the entire game.

Accidentally clicked on another spoiler thread, backed out immediately. Blaming fat fingers and iPhone.

(April 6th, 2014, 16:05)Boldly Going Nowhere Wrote: I personally would prefer in this game to miss my own turn rather than to hold the game up, unless I have communicated to the other players in advance about a specific, limited circumstance where I may require a delay.

Totally on board with this, and I think we agreed to set this as policy before the start of the game. I appreciate the pause, though.
DL: PB12 | Playing: PB13

(April 6th, 2014, 16:05)Boldly Going Nowhere Wrote: I personally would prefer in this game to miss my own turn rather than to hold the game up, unless I have communicated to the other players in advance about a specific, limited circumstance where I may require a delay.

Well, I would not. I intend to make every reasonable effort to play, or to have Brick play, or to find a substitute. But that means I don't expect to miss a turn unless I'm surprised by an unexpected obligation or dramatic bad things happening.

If I'm [dealing with a power outage/traveling to a funeral/in the hospital/etc], then I don't want to also be forced into a bad position in the game and excoriated for thoughtlessness. Seems like kicking me while I'm down.
EitB 25 - Perpentach
Occasional mapmaker

The intent behind allowing a player to miss a turn is not to be punitive toward that player but rather to be considerate to all players. In the absence of any kind of communication, what is an appropriate amount of time that the other 32 players should wait in a hypothetical, no information available situation? I think it is better and more courteous to operate under the assumption of total player responsibility where you cannot rely on someone else pausing for you if you don't happen to play on time, for whatever reason. If you miss a turn, such is life.

I am just as likely as anyone to be penalized under this setup, and I know in advance of several significant lengths of time that I will be away from civ and more likely than usual to be penalized by this standard, but I'm ok with that. This game is about having fun, and for me and others as well, I suspect, that partly means keeping things rolling along.

If you or anyone needs extra time, communicate your need. If real life circumstances prevent this, it is unfortunate. I'm not against a reload on principle for the inevitable situations that are beyond your control, such as the emergencies you list. However, I am pretty adamantly opposed to delaying the game at all because someone either forgot or failed to check a notification. I am not taking this position because I'm trying to be difficult, but because I want everyone to be considerate as far as possible to every other player in the game. With so many players, a stricter than typical approach is probably better.