As a French person I feel like it's my duty to explain strikes to you. - AdrienIer

Create an account  

Steam Civ4 Update

he sez this:

Quote:new pitboss comes with the patch if you have it through steam, otherwise it's at http://63.236.94.185/2kgames/civ4/civ4pitboss.php

(from http://www.2kgames.com/civ4/downloads.htm )

I don't think either of those are new...
Current games (All): RtR: PB80 Civ 6: PBEM23

Ended games (Selection): BTS games: PB1, PB3, PBEM2, PBEM4, PBEM5B, PBEM50. RB mod games: PB5, PB15, PB27, PB37, PB42, PB46, PB71. FFH games: PBEMVII, PBEMXII. Civ 6:  PBEM22 Games ded lurked: PB18

Jojo, I would also be grateful if you could post the Steam pitboss links.

Theoretically then I guess for someone like me with a retail copy, I could patch the base game via their supposed on-demand patch, and then install Steam on my server and run the Steam Pitboss client while players connect to that via the new MP menu?

So are all of our PB games dead?

(June 5th, 2014, 14:20)BRickAstley Wrote: So are all of our PB games dead?

For now, for people with Steam versions of Civ, yes.

I'm just guessing, but not this:
(June 5th, 2014, 13:53)GermanJojo Wrote: My best guess is that they hadn't intended to affect Direct IP, but broke something accidentally when they updated the game for steamworks. Instead of fixing it, they said "Aww, to hell with it, game is 10 years old at this point anyways!" and just removed the menu option.

This feels about right
(June 5th, 2014, 13:59)Ichabod Wrote: I think using steamworks as their MP platform required that 2K made all MP exclusive to steam.

i.e. Commercial desicion. They don't want to allow any possible replacement for Gamespy and force everyone to use their service. I despise this desicion, but I guess at some point might be forced to download Steam version, if I want to play MP games frown.

Any info on whether this affects any other part of the game? PBEMs still work? Mods?

Logically it shouldn't be a problem...but then logically it shouldn't have affected Direct IP, either. Looks like I'll be digging up my install discs either way, but it'd be nice to keep my non-Pitboss games moving while I look for them.
EitB 25 - Perpentach
Occasional mapmaker

(June 5th, 2014, 14:24)sunrise089 Wrote:
(June 5th, 2014, 14:20)BRickAstley Wrote: So are all of our PB games dead?
For now, for people with Steam versions of Civ, yes.
Well, 3.19 made it DRM-free. I'm happy mailing my disks to someone in need; 13 is just eight people and 19 is just six so we might be able to limp along fine. tongue

Actually, I didn't bother installing Civ4 on my new laptop, I just copy-pasted the whole folder. It was less than two gigs.
If only you and me and dead people know hex, then only deaf people know hex.

I write RPG adventures, and blog about it, check it out.

Well, in the UK it is legal to make copies of electronic media from end of this month...so I'll just copy my discs and then if someone in the UK needs my disks I can mail them around.

Also, I've emailed 2K asking for a copy of the patch. I want to install if over a copy of CIV and see what steamworks is like...I'm not sure if there actually is going to be a way to host pitboss games similar to what they wanted in civ 5, which was that the host remains logged into the game constantly. Really unlikely IMO, but should be looked at.
Current games (All): RtR: PB80 Civ 6: PBEM23

Ended games (Selection): BTS games: PB1, PB3, PBEM2, PBEM4, PBEM5B, PBEM50. RB mod games: PB5, PB15, PB27, PB37, PB42, PB46, PB71. FFH games: PBEMVII, PBEMXII. Civ 6:  PBEM22 Games ded lurked: PB18

I'm the "he" that GJ was referring to --

So yes perhaps the patch notes and pitboss.exe link I pasted are completely wrong, BUT, in your install directory after Steam updates your Civ4, there is a new pitboss and it does host via steam. I can start it up and host the game, and on my local Civ4 I can see the game in the steam game browser and connect to it.

We haven't yet been able to have someone else successfully connect to the game though... working on it.