As a French person I feel like it's my duty to explain strikes to you. - AdrienIer

Create an account  

Politics Discussion Thread (Heated Arguing Warning)

yes let us post about brexit, not this stupid white supremacist derail

While I see the EU trying to turn the screws on Britain, I really don't think they have the political capital to really follow through and enforce a really onerous trade deal. There's just too much money at stake. So while Britain won't get as good a deal as it had before, it won't be unreasonably harsh.

The science funding is probably gone though. I'm really fucking unlikely to be going to Britain for my next postdoc.

I work at a scientific university, and they're shitting themselves about what's going to happen to their funding and all the projects we partner with the EU on.

Nicolae, I don't think it's good manners to offhandedly label unidentified people as "white supremacists" and then attempt to move on the discussion. The only racist here is me and I'm black supremacist because I believe that blacks are better at sports.

if it walks like a duck, quacks like a duck...

Wow on the hysterical multi-post stone-walling above. But do let's come back to the Brexit.

I used to really like Boris, he was my favourite local politician and I couldn't wait for him to become the leader of the party. Smart, classical liberal, hugely welcoming whilst understanding the importance of national identity for democracy and sovereignty, funny and fairly self-deprecating and modest. And then he decided to lead the Brexit campaign, which was just clearly disingenuine. But ok, a good opportunity to build political capital. What I really didn't expect is that he would spinelessly shirk responsibility like this, after the cause he backed and promoted actually succeeded. And now we may get Theresa May as PM, the person who thought it perfectly reasonable to blanket ban "psychoactive substances", because the government can decide who to prosecute and when.
DL: PB12 | Playing: PB13

(July 1st, 2016, 05:07)Nicolae Carpathia Wrote: well it sure as fuck does not, considering how many indian phds ive worked with (a group that has, upon the shifting of racial goalposts, been occasionally tolerated)

I don't understand what this is in response to.
I have to run.

(July 1st, 2016, 06:07)Bacchus Wrote: Wow on the hysterical multi-post stone-walling above. But do let's come back to the Brexit.

I used to really like Boris...

Boris has shown up the end result of treating politics like a game. Yes, he's funny, and its all a good laugh, but now a lot of people are going to be hurt very badly, and it's his fault. I have no respect left for him, and I think that even if this all turns out fine, history is going to be very harsh on him.

Having said that, I do have some human sympathy. Coming out of your house to crowds screaming hatred for you can't be pleasant. And I've rarely seen a politician so clearly show by their body language that they realise they'd made a huge mistake.

(July 1st, 2016, 06:27)Gazglum Wrote: I have no respect left for him, and I think that even if this all turns out fine, history is going to be very harsh on him.

Totally agree, alas...
DL: PB12 | Playing: PB13

(July 1st, 2016, 06:07)Bacchus Wrote: Wow on the hysterical multi-post stone-walling above. But do let's come back to the Brexit.

I used to really like Boris, he was my favourite local politician and I couldn't wait for him to become the leader of the party. Smart, classical liberal, hugely welcoming whilst understanding the importance of national identity for democracy and sovereignty, funny and fairly self-deprecating and modest. And then he decided to lead the Brexit campaign, which was just clearly disingenuine. But ok, a good opportunity to build political capital. What I really didn't expect is that he would spinelessly shirk responsibility like this, after the cause he backed and promoted actually succeeded. And now we may get Theresa May as PM, the person who thought it perfectly reasonable to blanket ban "psychoactive substances", because the government can decide who to prosecute and when.

As the figure of speech goes, all politics is internal. Something Civ is really bad at simulating!

(July 1st, 2016, 06:12)novice Wrote: I don't understand what this is in response to.

Indians are dark as hell. Racists used to consider them inferior, then they started working in tech and making a ton of money.

Also, considering you used the term "microbiology" to describe the effect of genes, this is so far outside your expertise that you can go sailing in it.

(June 30th, 2016, 09:11)Gavagai Wrote: I'm not British and I don't have a personal stake in this matter but I want just to say this. The arrogance of "Remain" camp, their utter contempt and disrespect towards political adversaries are so off-putting that it makes me root for "Leave" voters (even though I would most probably vote "Remain" if I were UK citizen).

The leave campaign were twice as arrogant. Every single thing they said was a lie, and worse, they never had an intention of going through with their promises. In fact, the real reason for most of the leave campaign to campaign was not to leave the EU (of the big boys, only Oiky Gove and Farage are true anti EUs) but to stab Cameron in the back.

Quote:Because of mostly same reasons, I root for Trump in US elections in November in USA, btw (to be fair, even ignoring this aspect I would vote for Trump in November if I were US citizen). Really, a guy said that a Mexican is a Mexican and he is somehow racist because of that. When I hear stuff like this, I just wonder, what a person should have done with his mind to find that kind of logic appealing.

Why anyone votes for someone who so utterly goes against both their own interests (I cannot see how a Trump presidency will help anyone, you can understand rich people voting Republican normally but not Trump) and against common human morality, I will never understand.

And re the Mexicans, I cannot understand how somebody could defend a man who will demonise a whole other ethnicity (Trump described all Mexicans as robbers and racists, not an accurate description of the vast majority of Mexicans, just as it wouldn't be if used to describe WASP Americans) in order to gain politically. Trump is a fascist, plain and simple. The only difference between him and the likes of Mussolini is that demagogically he's also incompetent.
Travelling on a mote of dust, suspended in a sunbeam.