As a French person I feel like it's my duty to explain strikes to you. - AdrienIer

Create an account  

Politics Discussion Thread (Heated Arguing Warning)

As expected May got her blank check 498 to 114. Unless May is BSing it in an attempt to get as much pie as possible, I'm 90% sure "hard" Brexit would happen. A closet Brexiteer actually had great chances to be picked because the CONs cannot pick someone is openly against Brexit.

As an example of how screwed Remain would be if a re-election happened; UKIP is set to humiliate Labour in a district that has gone for Labour when it began existing 50 years ago. This is the same shift america went through, with white working-class turning CON, but without the miniorites to balance them out. If it was know that a re-vote wasn't possible because Brexit would win anyway; then Remain would have went all-out and probably squeaked out a victory (assuming that Jo Cox still gets shot). Oh well.

Well UKIP didn't managed to win but Labour still got humiliated. I did a little research and Labour has hampered by a nuclear plant and the fact the district isn't that red but it's still humiliating. First by-election where the government has gained a seat in 35 years.

Edit: UKIP is pretty much done though.

UKIP were never going to win Stoke Central. The question was how close would it get.
Current games (All): RtR: PB80 Civ 6: PBEM23

Ended games (Selection): BTS games: PB1, PB3, PBEM2, PBEM4, PBEM5B, PBEM50. RB mod games: PB5, PB15, PB27, PB37, PB42, PB46, PB71. FFH games: PBEMVII, PBEMXII. Civ 6:  PBEM22 Games ded lurked: PB18

(February 25th, 2017, 06:47)Krill Wrote: UKIP were never going to win Stoke Central. The question was how close would it get.

Stoke Central is called Brexit Capital and Labour ran a crappy candidate who said "Brexit sucks" before. If they cannot win this election they cannot win anywhere. They almost came in third place too. UKIP has no reason for existence after May became PM.

The last notable thing that UKIP will do is to bleed off votes from the Conservatives and even that is lame because the Liberal Democrats will probably bleed off more votes from Labour by the time the election actually happens.

Stoke central has always returned labour in a GE, it's an old mining area that has been massively shafted by Thatcher. UKIP and Labour attracted different voters in the by election and you can't draw conclusions from the number of leave voters suddenly changing 50 years of previous elections. Tories will never win Stoke Central. UKIP are screwed but Corbyn is unelectable by the general population and those swing voters are what will give May a huge majority in the next election. UKIP will just pick up voters that are angry at everyone, and the Lib Dems will pick up there 5 or so voters that understand they didn't purposefully fuck up their aims when in government. The Tories are the only sane power block that still exist.
Current games (All): RtR: PB80 Civ 6: PBEM23

Ended games (Selection): BTS games: PB1, PB3, PBEM2, PBEM4, PBEM5B, PBEM50. RB mod games: PB5, PB15, PB27, PB37, PB42, PB46, PB71. FFH games: PBEMVII, PBEMXII. Civ 6:  PBEM22 Games ded lurked: PB18

This is from across the pond, but it sure seems like May had the two brain cells rubbing together needed to take a lesson from the Republican primaries.
If only you and me and dead people know hex, then only deaf people know hex.

I write RPG adventures, and blog about it, check it out.

This is from across the smaller pond, but I doubt that you can call a power block containing Boris Johnson sane...

please reassure me that you guys aren't going to elect another fascist clown into office

It probably won't happen. But this election has been so crazy so far that I can't promise you anything.

Also I wouldn't call Marine Le Pen a clown, she's too clever for that

(February 27th, 2017, 15:12)AdrienIer Wrote: This is from across the smaller pond, but I doubt that you can call a power block containing Boris Johnson sane...

I'm pretty sure that Krill would say that only Labour and Tories matter now and that the Tories are much saner than Labour. I think putting someone who is totally unelectedable as your leader (May has a 40%+ lead when the question is phrased as her versus Corbyn) is much worse than having one "nutcase" who was BSing it anyway (just see his lame Brexit-victory speech). 

If Le Pen actually wins it shows how silly the two-round system is and that France should have sucked up NF winning a few seats.