As a French person I feel like it's my duty to explain strikes to you. - AdrienIer

Create an account  

Politics Discussion Thread (Heated Arguing Warning)

I agree with you and because of that it is conceivable that a moderate Tory group rebels and votes against a queens speech IMO. Not saying it will happen or even likely, but it is understandable.

May has not stated if she will stand down. If she does stand down then any negotiations with the EU falter because they will not negotiate with anyone else, as Lord O'Donnell pointed out on Radio 4 earlier. These points conflict, if there is any fighting, May loses the premiership and has to nominate a successor. I question if she will purposefully fuck up the Queens speech and then nominate a predefined Tory MP to be the new leader to circumvent Tory leadership elections, have a swift swap over and then that person tries to run a real minority government with a soft brexit that keeps freedom of movement.
Current games (All): RtR: PB80 Civ 6: PBEM23

Ended games (Selection): BTS games: PB1, PB3, PBEM2, PBEM4, PBEM5B, PBEM50. RB mod games: PB5, PB15, PB27, PB37, PB42, PB46, PB71. FFH games: PBEMVII, PBEMXII. Civ 6:  PBEM22 Games ded lurked: PB18

(June 9th, 2017, 07:10)Krill Wrote: SF will never take seats in parliament, and Pro brexit Tories, or at least the hard core ones number greater than the majority the government commands. I don't see this ending well for the Tories unless the rabidity of those members gets curbed somewhat.

Well in order to keep the DUP on line May'll have to make creatardism a core part of the science curriculum, ban homosexuality, reconstitute a "protestant parliament for a prostestant people" in Stormont, and go full swivel eyes on Brexit (if anything the political wing of the UVF {who haven't given up their guns} are even more swivel eyed on the EU than Maybot* is). And she's been pandering to the Kipper wing of the party since she was selected leader. So I think her problems will come from the more reasonable side of the Tory spectrum, not the loons.

*Don't believe a word that she was ever a remainer, for all but the few weeks of the referendum campaign she was the biggest voice in cabinet against the EU, and her actions since the vote would make even the thickest Kipper pause and tell her to hang on for a minute to consider her position.
Travelling on a mote of dust, suspended in a sunbeam.

It's true comunists just won 40% of the votes in UK? Oh man brits dont know what they want.(I lived under communism and wasnt prety at all)

Not a communist no. Merely a more left wing than usual labour guy

How I 'love' it when the word communism is used to silence anyone who doesn't want the neocon wet dream of exploiting the masses even more...call it what you want, I am happy to see Sanders and Corbyn rise in popularity. Things have become so bad in the world regarding disparity, something needs to happen here.

(June 9th, 2017, 12:45)Krill Wrote: Just so people have an understanding, the DUP propping up the Tories is like Sinn Fein propping up Labour

Thanks, I was really confused before but now its all clear.  At least use a football analogy mischief.

Darrell

(June 12th, 2017, 07:16)Singaboy Wrote: How I 'love' it when the word communism is used to silence anyone who doesn't want the neocon wet dream of exploiting the masses even more

Spoken like someone with no direct exposure to actual communism.  I have relatives in Venezuela that wish they had been much more paranoid about assholes claiming power on behalf of "the masses".

Darrell

Good thing the Brits didn't vote for an actual communist then!

Just to make things clearer, here are some of the main points from Labour's manifesto:

-increase taxes for highest earners and corporations
-renationalize the railways as private franchises expire (not forced nationalization)
-create at least one publicly owned energy company in every region of the UK, and cap energy bills
-abolish tuition fees
-more funding for the NHS and social Care
-rolling back the benefit cuts already passed by the conservatives
-rent control

and a whole bunch of other left-of-centre stuff: http://www.bbc.com/news/election-2017-39933116

IMO Corbyn is about as leftie as Sweden, Norway or France and after forty years of right-wing and centre-ground rule it's about time we had a bit of leftie, just to get hospitals and schools working again.

Unfortunately 90% of the press in the uk is owned by billionaires who've got a vested interest in paying no tax and being allowed to snap up various government monopolies at knock-down prices, so anyone to the left of Thatcher gets a rough ride (eg David Cameron's hounding by the Mail).