As a French person I feel like it's my duty to explain strikes to you. - AdrienIer

Create an account  

Civ 6 Release and Update Discussion Thread

I have to say that they took a pretty decent stab at MP with the base release, it is far and away the most playable out of the box of all Civ titles, and I am kind glad that seemingly I won't have to buy an expansion just to have reasonable MP.

Agree that changes are very "Paradoxy", and that it's a sad state of affairs -- a convergence between the two genres will just leave us with nothing but half-assed hybrids. See Stellaris. And why would Firaxis even want to reproduce Stellaris, the game is a clear failure (even if I kinda enjoy it on a rare occasion).

I hope that, as is becoming common, we will get a base game update with at least some of the features during expansion release. Not asking for new civs or wonders, but the development trees, anti-cavalry and policies clearly need some work still. Non-existent lategame is largely irrelevant for MP purposes, certainly until pitboss.
DL: PB12 | Playing: PB13

(November 29th, 2017, 12:01)Bacchus Wrote: I have to say that they took a pretty decent stab at MP with the base release, it is far and away the most playable out of the box of all Civ titles, and I am kind glad that seemingly I won't have to buy an expansion just to have reasonable MP.

Agree that changes are very "Paradoxy", and that it's a sad state of affairs -- a convergence between the two genres will just leave us with nothing but half-assed hybrids. See Stellaris. And why would Firaxis even want to reproduce Stellaris, the game is a clear failure (even if I kinda enjoy it on a rare occasion).

I hope that, as is becoming common, we will get a base game update with at least some of the features during expansion release. Not asking for new civs or wonders, but the development trees, anti-cavalry and policies clearly need some work still. Non-existent lategame is largely irrelevant for MP purposes, certainly until pitboss.

Just curious, by what metric do you consider Stellaris a failure? To be sure I think it's the weakest of the "current" Paradox games, but certainly playable. Similarly while I don't think this expansion is all that exciting, I don't see it turning Civ6 into some sort of mediocre blend of civ and pdx games.

Regarding Civ6 expansion, I am talking more about the direction than the magnitude of the change, and where the series may go from here.

As for Stellaris, the metric is of course player base -- it has 220k players over last two weeks compared to HoI4's 290k and Europa IV's 280k. And Stellaris was meant to have wider appeal, certainly than the concurrently released HoI4.
DL: PB12 | Playing: PB13

Interview with the expansion designer with a few more details

I'm seeing feature bloat and a cluster fuck incoming.
Current games (All): RtR: PB80 Civ 6: PBEM23

Ended games (Selection): BTS games: PB1, PB3, PBEM2, PBEM4, PBEM5B, PBEM50. RB mod games: PB5, PB15, PB27, PB37, PB42, PB46, PB71. FFH games: PBEMVII, PBEMXII. Civ 6:  PBEM22 Games ded lurked: PB18

New civ revealed: Korea

The set-up seems interesting. Mines give bonus science, Seowons don't like being built next to other districts, so it looks like the Koreans will favor a more rural, mining-and-farming based civ.
I Think I'm Gwangju Like It Here

A blog about my adventures in Korea, and whatever else I feel like writing about.

I thought they wouldn't go for a Unique Science District, as it sound quite op on paper. +6 Science which cost half as much as a normal Campus? Sign me up!
EDIT: Just found out that they don't receive adjacency bonuses. That makes them actually a lot more balanced.

This also makes me hope for a Civ with a Unique Commercial District, equally op but I really want to play a trader civ!

I really like Korea's design, it really encourages them to lay out completely unique cities. I've been waiting since day one of this game for a civ with a unique campus district, and I can't wait to play them  jive

My one point of concern is that innate +6 bonus to the Seowon, it feels a little overtuned at the moment, but much will depend on implementation. The disincentive to adjacent districts is nice and flavorful, but I don't feel like it's a trade off that's going to end up being too impactful. I have a lot of questions about how Seowons interact with existing systems.  For example, does it get additional adjacency bonuses for mountains/jungles? Does the innate 6 science count as an adjacency bonus that gets doubled by Natural Philosophy? 

If the answer is yes to one (or both of these), I would argue the Seowon might be too strong. If its not, the +6 science on a half cost campus is really good, but not game-breaking - especially when you consider how generally mediocre the rest of their kit is.

From what I have heard the answer to both questions is "no"

New Civilization Revealed: Netherlands w. Queen Wilhelmina

Blog Post: https://civilization.com/news/entries/ci...etherlands

UU: De Zeven Provincien (a powerful ranged ship, doesn't say if it replaces anything, maybe Frigates, and gets bonuses attacking districts (City Center and Encampments))
UI: Polder (a coastal improvement that adds +2 Icon_Food, +1 Icon_Production, and a little housing plus more down the line).
Civ Ability: Grote Rivieren (adds +2 adjacency to Campus, Theater Squares, and Industrial Zones when built on a river plus Harbors grab tiles)
Leader Ability: Radio Oranje (adds Loyalty to domestic trade routes and culture to foreign trade routes)

Edit: Firaxis also announced a live stream Wednesday (Dec 13th) showcasing Korea: https://forums.civfanatics.com/threads/f...th.625358/