As a French person I feel like it's my duty to explain strikes to you. - AdrienIer

Create an account  

Politics Discussion Thread (Heated Arguing Warning)

Legalized marijuana is apparently the least controversial topic on RB contemplate.

Darrell

Taxation and regulation and using revenues for public good can outweigh social harm.

I figure we are more likely to see an argument over the idea of taxation on RB than whether ownership and usage of a substance or item is legal.
Current games (All): RtR: PB80 Civ 6: PBEM23

Ended games (Selection): BTS games: PB1, PB3, PBEM2, PBEM4, PBEM5B, PBEM50. RB mod games: PB5, PB15, PB27, PB37, PB42, PB46, PB71. FFH games: PBEMVII, PBEMXII. Civ 6:  PBEM22 Games ded lurked: PB18

(August 3rd, 2018, 07:51)darrelljs Wrote: Legalized marijuana is apparently the least controversial topic on RB contemplate.

Darrell

From my perspective - I didn't want to smoke it when it was illegal and I don't want to smoke it now when I'd have to get a prescription, and I'm pretty sure I won't want to smoke it when it becomes fully legal.  But I also don't see net benefit in jailing people who do smoke, so... noidea .  As long as you don't smoke where I'm going to have to breathe it in: whatever, man.

It's a subject where, surprisingly, the democratic process is doing exactly what I'd want it to do: gradually reduce government control, while watching to see if the doom and gloom comes true...and if it doesn't, then reduce control some more.  It's weird, as a pragmatic libertarian, to ever get what I want. I don't want to jinx it by arguing about it smile.
EitB 25 - Perpentach
Occasional mapmaker

Pretty solid win for federalists, too.
If only you and me and dead people know hex, then only deaf people know hex.

I write RPG adventures, and blog about it, check it out.

As someone who comes from a country where it has been pretty much legal for decades now: there really isn't much of a downside. All the talk of it supposedly harming productivity or social structures turned out to be basically the same baseless fearmongering as arguments against alcohol during prohibition. Sure the streets smell like pot and some people do wreck their life by smoking to much, but the same could be said for alcohol or tobacco.

It is also not very much more prevalent at all here than in the States, sure you'll see the occasional group passing a joint around at a party or on the streets, but that isn't such a strange picture in the US either right?

I do find it somewhat amusing that this is still such a discussion overseas.

(August 3rd, 2018, 16:03)Japper007 Wrote: As someone who comes from a country where it has been pretty much legal for decades now: there really isn't much of a downside. All the talk of it supposedly harming productivity or social structures turned out to be basically the same baseless fearmongering as arguments against alcohol during prohibition. Sure the streets smell like pot and some people do wreck their life by smoking to much, but the same could be said for alcohol or tobacco.

It is also not very much more prevalent at all here than in the States, sure you'll see the occasional group passing a joint around at a party or on the streets, but that isn't such a strange picture in the US either right

I do find it somewhat amusing that this is still such a discussion overseas.

A big reason why law enforcement likes keeping weed illegal is a broken-windows effect where cops can arrest a criminal for possession when they want to bring him in for a more serious crime. The ubiquitous bag of weed is undeniable evidence, unlike the tricky stuff like fingerprints or witnesses. Sure it's not the crime they'd prefer to nail the guy for, but it kind of works, and given how little the average criminal has on the ball getting a confession to more serious (okay, real) crimes can often follow. It's not a good thing, but it's a thing.

If not for that, I don't think law enforcement would care. Uppers (crack, meth, etc) lead to more crime and violent crime, but downers tend to just be quietly self-destructive.
If only you and me and dead people know hex, then only deaf people know hex.

I write RPG adventures, and blog about it, check it out.

Quote:downers tend to just be quietly self-destructive.

Say that one to the families of teens that get drug induced psychoses from cannabis, I reckon it's a bit more than self destruction for those.

Doesn't mean I'm against legalization, but you could do with a viable mental health system for psychotic illnesses, especially when you have guns available.
Current games (All): RtR: PB80 Civ 6: PBEM23

Ended games (Selection): BTS games: PB1, PB3, PBEM2, PBEM4, PBEM5B, PBEM50. RB mod games: PB5, PB15, PB27, PB37, PB42, PB46, PB71. FFH games: PBEMVII, PBEMXII. Civ 6:  PBEM22 Games ded lurked: PB18

(August 4th, 2018, 11:57)Krill Wrote: but you could do with a viable mental health system for psychotic illnesses, especially when you have guns available.

Certainly, part of the reason our Dutch drug policy (i.e "legal" weed, and decriminalized, but not legal, hard drugs) works so well is a good support system for the mentally ill. It works through mandatory insurance paying for hospitals so that everyone can get almost free help and medication (for about 80 euro's the month dancing ). It's another example of the American system just being banghead crazyeye , but I guess the prison-industrial complex is more important than accessible healthcare.

I will add though that psychotic episodes are about as frequent with illegal weed; as I mentioned earlier weed consumption doesn't see all that steep a rise after legalization (on average the Dutch smoke less of the stuff than US citizens f.e. ) What keeping it criminalized does do, however, is ensure people suffering from mental illness through extreme drug use will not seek out the help they need for fear of jail or other trouble.

Guys, I think that was a spambot trying to get SEO rank for the link (which I removed.) Carry on the discussion anyway if you like.

Yeah it did seem suspicious to me, why make an account on a largely gaming related forum to have your first (and only, so far) post be about legalised Mary Jane?